I have been AWOL for a while I know. To be honest, this blogging thing is wearing thin with me a bit – I guess that’s what happens with certain hobbies, you like it then let it wain then do some blogging again, but whatever, it is what it is.
I’ve done a few things in my time away. Firstly I bought a Hennessy Hammock – these things are light as heck and comfortable and way better than a small tent when camping. Secondly, I’ve continued to do the food gathering. Because looking at the trends and the facts of everything, when shit goes to hell you’ll need something to keep your belly full while you wait the shitstorm out. You’ll need a source of food, or I guess, emergency food so the unprepared masses can kill themselves off before you can go ahead and start to rebuild life for you and your family and friends.
- Seven billion people on this planet and growing. A lot of mouths to feed in our planet of finite resources
- Even where I am (farming central) more and more land is being used for aggregate mining and housing and less for farming. And the land that is being used for farming, a lot of it is things like tobacco and corn for ethanol, not food.
- Farming is dying because of peak phosphorus and the fact that massive farming practices lose good soil to erosion.
- Fossil fuel is required for producing and collecting massive amounts of food as well as for fertilizers and distribution. Without access to cheap and plentiful fossil fuels, that practice dies out and people starve.
- Speaking of fossil fuel, have you noticed the prices of crude and of processed have been bouncing up and down? I’m no economist but I believe when the bubble gets to the point of breaking it does a whole lot of bouncing first.
- Stock markets are going to shit. Pay special attention to the Chinese market which apparently in free fall
- Climate change. That shit is REAL and it’s happening now. And this powerful El Nino event may be making things even worse. And California. Produces half of the U.S. produce without it’s own water supply and now it’s really paying the bill.
- When production and distribution are disrupted and the fat masses don’t get their fill, the riots will be intense. No amount of martial law will quell whats coming.
I believe all these things are adding up to some serious short falls in food. Less food, difficulty in transport, huge populations. This all adds up to some disaster that YOU need to be prepared to wait out (until everyone kills themselves off and hopefully you can squirrel yourself away with your food and wait it out without experiencing too much of the violence for yourself).
It’s important to buy and store heirloom seeds. GMO seeds have been engineered so that the seed the plant produces will not be able to germinate itself. Make sure you know what you have. You’ll need to be able to sustainably grow food.
I’ve been taking advantage of local free sources of food. For example my mulberry tree I’ve been using to make mulberry preserves and have a LOT of jars on the shelf. Friends grow beans, I can them and now I have lots of beans. In addition to the food you buy and store this can add a lot of food for not a lot of money.
Those are my 2 cents. Good luck out there, I have a feeling 2016-2018 are going to be rough.